Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sunrise Walking Tracks, Warby Ranges

It had been a while between walks but with the need to do a reccie for an upcoming 2 day walk, I loaded up my pack and headed off to the Warby Ranges. The Warby Ranges form part of the Warby Ovens National Park, offer a variety of walking tracks and its lower altitude makes it an ideal winter & spring destination.

This time I planned to walk with in the Sunrise Complex of tracks, these tracks offer a variety of loops that range from 2 to 6 Km and graded easy to hard. Today I would walk the large loop. This would allow me to use the captured GPS plot for reference on the 2 day walk.

Weather conditions made for interesting walking. It had rained over night and continued with showers for the first hour of my trip. This also meant the bush was very wet and every time I pushed through the scrubby sections I became wetter. Fortunately the scrub opened up once I descended on the western slopes which allow me to dry out a little.

I was quite impressed with the mix of terrain and the views offered by this walk and I expect that I will use this loop again along with other nearby tracks to make a full day walk.


I was very impressed with the quality of the signage in this section of the park, in fact this was the first time I had found a map on a post half way through a walk with "a you are here dot"!

This time of the year also means the flowers are out.




A mob of caterpillars having a feed.


.

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting looking spot Wazza. I've never been there before and I was just checking out the Parks Vic write up about the place. Will be interested how your longer walk goes as I might have put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg, The Warby’s do offer a variety of walking options, although the gaps caused by private land make it hard to walk all the way North to South. I have not decided on the final route yet, and to be honest the day walk asked more questions than it answered. But it did give me a chance to hone my photographic skills on some spring blossoms.

    ReplyDelete